Thursday, September 22, 2011

The List....
This is actually one of my favorites.  It was written after a study at my church about what it really means to live a spirit filled life.  How we measure or gauge our spiritual maturity, I believe, is far different than how God does.  Is our Christianity about the do's and don'ts or is it marked by love, worship and service out of a pure heart?   Do we measure by a list or are we moment by moment yielding to the Holy Spirit?

The List
When a soul is first made alive
By the Spirit and the blood
The excitement and the joy explodes
It consumes them like a flood
God begins to work in them
And their life begins to change
Little by little and piece by piece
Their priorities rearrange
Then along comes some well-meaning one
Who believes they know what’s best
They confront this new one with their list
“You must look just like the rest
Here is the list of do’s and don’ts
If you truly want to please God
To really be accepted
This is the path you must trod”
And so this new believer
Now focused on the list
Loses their joy and excitement
Liberty in Christ is missed
And all too soon they fall away
Because the list contains no power
And walking in the Spirit
Wasn’t taught them from the hour
When they first came to know the Lord
And their heart was opened wide
Not that it’s wrong to have a list
But only the Spirit working inside
Can produce a truly righteous life
Full of love and liberty
The freedom to live above the list
Is what it really means to be free

Gal 5:1  
“Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.”


I grew up in a culture that promoted the "list" and I will be honest and tell you that it almost ruined me.  I didn't understand or take ownership of what it really meant to be a child of The King until much later in life.  To have the Holy Spirit actually living inside and wanting to teach me and lead me in every aspect of my life.   Please don't misunderstand, I do have my standards and convictions.  But how do I treat a new believer, a baby christian, that doesn't have those same standards?  Would I mistreat or look begrudgingly at a new born baby that didn't talk or walk when and how I thought they should?  Or would I give them time to grow?  Sort of a weak analogy I know, but you get my point.  Only God can bring a believer to true maturity in Christ.  My job is simply to love and encourage them.  

(If this is your first visit to my blog, please check out the Welcome page in the archive section)