Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Just a Glimpse....
I heard a phrase a few years ago that has really stuck with me.  It says that "we need to have eternal eyes", basically it means that we should live our lives with a view of heaven in mind.  The trouble is that we tend to get "earthbound" in our thinking.  So much all around us can be distracting, even some things that are really good things.  God has given us so much in this life for our enjoyment, but it must be kept in balance with the reality that as a Christian, this world is not our home.  It would be so much easier to keep our focus if we could get....

Just a Glimpse

Just a glimpse of Glory Lord
I’m longing now to see
More and more I find myself
Homesick to be free
From the bondage of this world
And the struggles all around
For I am not at home here
My soul yearns for higher ground
I’m a citizen of a Heaven
And I surely realize
That this life is just a journey
Always looking for the prize
But so many things seduce us here
Lord help me to release
All the things that hold me here
That I may know real peace
Because at times I feel too much at home
In this place that’s not my home
When I’m really just a pilgrim here
And my journey is not done
So just a glimpse of Glory Lord
Will help me on my way
May my affections be on things above
Until that glorious day
When the curtain will be lifted
And not a glimpse but fully shown
We’ll be at home in Glory then
And know as we are known

Col 3:1-2 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.  Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

I have often said, and I firmly believe, that if we could ever once get a clear view of the eternal, it would totally transform our thoughts and our actions.  I wonder why God doesn’t give us that ability.  But then where would be the faith in that?