Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Vapor...
I don't know about anyone else, but for me it is hard to believe it is 2012 already...I suppose that it is a part of getting older, but with each new year I am more and more aware of how fast the time really flies.  I can look back over my life and see different points in time that seem to flow together.  I can remember moments from my childhood that somehow seamlessly become high school days.  And then in a blink I am married to my best friend and  we are starting a family.  And now almost miraculously my three little ones are all young adults and I wonder where the time went.  So my point is simply this...we are only given one shot at life this side of eternity so we best make the most of it, because life really is just.....

A Vapor

Life is but a vapor
Here but a moment then it's past
Yet we spend so very much of it 
On things that will not last
We spend time on the cars we drive
Or the houses we live in
But have no time at all to spend
On the neighbor we might win
We spend time working on our jobs
Or the hobbies that we have
And of course a little time in church
So our conscience we might salve
We spend time with our families
A very good thing indeed
But alas we have no time we say
For the stranger who is in need
Help me Lord to understand
That life is more than time
For to spend my life on just myself
Would be the highest crime

James 4:14   Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.

The brevity of life is a fact we are all very familiar with.  Yet somehow the fact in our heads is disconnected from the desires of our hearts.  How much more fulfilled and joyful our lives would be if we could live each “today” as if tomorrow we would meet our Maker, because we do not know which “today” it will be true.