Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Cowboy Kind of Man...
This poem still makes me smile every time I re-visit it.  It is one that is a little more fun than it is deep, but there is some real meaning if you look and listen closely.  All of us had dreams of what and who we wanted to be when we were kids.  Unfortunately, too often we forget how to dream as we get older.  Maybe our childhood dreams were totally unrealistic, but that energy and imagination is the stuff that can push us to doing great things for the Lord and for those we love.  For me, I just wanted to be a .....

Cowboy Kind of Man 
I dreamed of bein' a cowboy 
When I was just a child
But I grew up where the concrete grows
And not the west when it was wild
John Wayne and Gary Cooper
And Jimmy Stewert these
Were the kinds of men I hoped someday
that I'd grow up to be
men of courage and of honor
and a style that was all there own
Men not afraid to stand for right
even when they stood alone
But I'm all grown now and I wear wingtips
Instead of cowboy boots
And I carry around a ball point pen
Instead of a gun that shoots
But I think cowboy is an attitude
A way of lookin' at things
A certain way of dealin' with
Whatever this life brings
So maybe I don't ride a horse
Or rope or throw or brand
But it's deep inside not the work you do
That makes a cowboy kind of  a man

 I Cor. 13:11  "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

It’s one thing to “put away childish things”, it is quite another to let your dreams of childhood die entirely.  I believe we need those childhood dreams to keep us young at heart and keep us striving to be the very best we can be.  Do you dream of doing great things? Do you dream of making a difference? Be a person that honors God.... and never stop dreaming!