Sunday, September 25, 2011


Times of Prayer...
I heard an awesome message today on the topic of prayer and before the morning services were over the following poem was on paper.  I could hardly wait to post it.  I have to admit I love that feeling when God lays something on my heart like that and it almost writes itself.  In the busyness of the world we live in today it has never been more important or more needed for us as Christians to spend time alone with God.  

Times of Prayer
I feel such weakness
In times of prayer
Distractions within and without
Confront me there
My flesh tries to conquer
The time seems so brief
My mind tends to wander
While my spirit seeks release
God has bidden me to come
Bringing my troubles and care
He Himself has promised
To meet me there
So why then such struggle
When the reward is so sweet
Is my heart so unruly
That it resists such retreat
If I could really see Christ
In all of His glory
And remember His grace
And the power of His story
I should be compelled
To more intensely pursue
My times in prayer
And my devotion renew

Luke 11:1  And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.

Notice that in the verse above, the disciple did not ask Jesus to teach them "how" to pray or "what" to pray, but rather "teach us TO pray".  As Believers, we all know how important it is to pray.  Not just meaningless rituals but to really pray and connect with our Creator.  We all know that there is great blessing and increased faith the more we pray.  Why then is it so difficult for us to spend quantity and quality time in prayer?  I don't know of anyone who believes they spend too much time in prayer.  If we are to have an impact on our world and for the Kingdom, it will not happen without prayer.  Is there any more important aspect of the Christian life than prayer?  And yet is there any more neglected aspect of the Christian life than prayer?  Prayer is our opportunity to talk friend to friend with the Creator of the universe...the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  Stop and think about the enormity of that for just a second.  Unfortunately I think that all too often we mistakenly think that prayer was designed so that we could change or effect the mind of God...when the truth is that prayer was designed so that God could more easily change us.... As the saying goes.."little prayer, little power..more prayer, more power..much prayer much power"

(If this is your first visit to my blog, please check out the Welcome page in the archive section)